Yep, that’s right, top vitamins for hair loss for women.
Don’t let hair loss get in the way! Read on to get to the bottom of all about women’s common reason for hair loss and how to prevent them with these top 5 vitamins for hair loss!
1. Why am I losing hair?
Girl, it could be anything but take note of all these factors so you will evaluate your daily meal intake, activities, unhealthy habits and minimize them as much as possible. It is more common that hair loss is not a medical problem, but due to lifestyle factors. However, getting checkups like the blood test, thyroid problems and hormone imbalances will give you an idea of what nutrition you are lacking/deficient at.
- Stress, both internal (poor digestion, inflammation) and external stress (fad diets, extreme workouts).
- Genetics, e.g: prone to iron deficiency (get a checkup to find out), naturally thick hair in the family means hair loss is most probably due to other factors.
- Thyroid problems (this, however, shows less evidence on its effect on thinning hair, but more on weight and heart rate).
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), or easily understood as hormone imbalances such as more production of male hormones. Lead to acne, weight gain, ovulation problems.
- Alopecia Areata. Basically, your immune system mistakenly attacks your hair follicles.
- Ringworm. A fungus attack around a small area of your scalp. Can be treated with an antifungal cream.
- Childbirth. Due to drastic hormonal changes, very common experience by new mothers.
- Crash diets. As women, we are very guilty of this. A lot of us like to do crash diets. This is why it is not recommended to do that.
- Medications. Birth control pills suppress ovulation will cause thinning of hair. Other pills such as to control blood pressure and depression also disrupt hair growth as they are blood thinners.
- Female pattern hair loss. This is scary. Your hair follicles shrink and new hair that grows becomes thinner and finer, and eventually they quit growing.
- Trichotillomania. A type of cognitive disorder, your bad habit of pulling your hair.
- Too tight hairstyles. I’m talking about corn row, prolonged ponytails, and buns, clip-on extensions. Break free or loose your hair when you don’t have to put on these, please.
2. Top 5 vitamins for hair loss, for HER.
When they tell you to eat clean, they don’t kidding. It is not just for weight loss, but it is for overall beauty: your skin, cellulite and your HAIR. Here are the best vitamins for hair loss you should look for:
This is a must-have vitamin for hair loss. This comprises from:
that helps with preventing against dryness and breakage, strengthening the hair structure by aiding in the production of keratin (a main component of hair).
Food source: brown rice, green peas, lentils, oats
Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5)
Super useful to prevent graying of hair and strengthening hair follicles by allow smooth functioning of follicles and cleanse away the dead skin to encourage new growth.
Food source: whole grains, eggs, beef, chicken, legumes, avocado
Inositol (Vitamin H)
A recent study has shown that intake of inositol has significantly reduced hair loss. It usually supports the overall functions of some prime organs of the body such as aiding the health of cell membranes of cells, hence indirectly the hair follicles’ cells.
Food source: whole grain bread, beans, citrus fruits, cantaloupe
Other B Vitamins: Vitamin B6, B12, B3.
The B Vitamins are interdependent with each other so it is best to consume B-complex as a whole. For example, B5 prevents graying and B6 gives hair melanin. B12 and B3 (Niacin) prevent hair loss and encourages a healthy scalp. That is why these B vitamins for hair loss are always inluded in so called vitamins for ‘hair’.
ii. Vitamin C
Our body cannot produce Vitamin C naturally but it can be easily consumed from fruits and vegetables. It is a prime vitamin for overall beauty, not just hair, as it aids in healing, fights free radicals (that cause cellular damage, thus fasten aging), helps in the absorption of iron (very crucial mineral to prevent hair loss) and other nutrients. Ensure that the supplement includes bioflavonoids to help the absorption of this vitamin. It also fights oxidative stress as an antioxidant
iii. Vitamin D
The case for Alopecia Areata means a huge lack in vitamin D. Vitamin D is responsible for calcium homeostasis, cell differentiation process, and regulation of the immune system.
Food source: mackerel, salmon, maitake and portabella mushrooms.
Sun: exposure to direct morning sun for 10-15 minutes,
iv. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids cannot be formed naturally, therefore must be taken externally. Omega-3 fatty acids is a crucial component of to reduce internal inflammation and balance our hormones that majorly contributed to external problems like hair loss, unhealthy skin, acne and low cognitive activity. It’s like a lubricant to many important functions of our body. It is good for hair thickening and to activate hair follicles.
Food source: cold water fish like tuna, sardines, salmon, egg yolks
Time and time, studies have proven a strong correlation between iron deficiency with hair loss. That is why we may experience more hair loss during ‘that time of the month’. Some people who are genetically born with an iron deficiency must take iron supplements for life or they will experience heavy hair loss. However, do get yourself checked by an expert or a doctor if the iron supplement is necessary because iron overload comes with side effects too. If not, it is best to consume it naturally from food rich in iron.
Food source: spinach, beef steak, black beans, egg yolks.
Supplements are never meant to replace the main daily meals, they are just there to fill what is deficient. It is best to get experts’ advice and they will be able to prescribe to you the accurate supplements you need according to your lifestyle. Even though a lot of supplement in the market specifically for hair contains all these vitamins but they usually add extra ingredients like herbs such as horsetail extract and millet extract. Do make your research whether you have allergies to these ingredients before taking them.